Many of the components that help fungi defend themselves against their enemies also support their body’s defense mechanisms and are increasingly seen as a legitimate means of improving their health and well-being.
The ancient Egyptians believed that eating mushrooms brought a long life. And mushrooms have been used for thousands of years in cultures around the world, particularly in Asian countries.
Now modern scientists are discovering some fascinating healing properties of mushrooms. And more than a hundred species of fungi are currently being studied worldwide for their health benefits.
More than 2,000 species of edible mushrooms exist on the planet.
Some of the most common medicinal mushrooms:
- Chaga ( Inonotus obliquus )
- Reishi ( Ganoderma lucidum )
- Turkey tail ( Trametes versicolor, Coriolus versicolor )
- Shiitake ( Lentinula edodes )
- Lion’s mane ( Hericium erinaceus )
- Cordyceps ( Cordyceps sinensis )