7 reasons to take more vitamins and minerals
1. The agricultural revolution has reduced the quality of our food.
The exploitation of agricultural soils and intensive livestock farming have made our food have less nutritional density , that is, less nutrients ( vitamins and minerals ). However, “intensive” foods have a similar caloric density (calories per 100 grams) and, in the case of processed foods, even higher.
2. The nutritional content of foods varies geographically. Even with the same agricultural production methods, there can be significant differences from one region to another.
3. The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) set for each vitamin and mineral is not the maximum amount but the amount necessary to avoid suffering from deficiency diseases. In addition, stress and lifestyle may require higher doses in certain cases, as in periods of convalescence, surgeries, etc.
4. It is not easy to meet the minimum nutritional requirements , because today’s foods are less dense in nutrients and higher in calories. On the other hand, there are studies that show that even individuals who take vitamin supplements do not achieve 100% of the minimum amounts for all nutrients.
5. Some micronutrients increase their positive effects if they take you in greater quantity . This is the case of vitamin D, in which it has been proven that people with higher levels (between 60-80 mg / dL) than what is considered normal (30 mg / dL) had longer telomeres. Similarly, vitamin C in high doses in a situation of body stress (such as a serious infection or surgery), has shown benefits in terms of survival.
6. They are safe products . Taking vitamins for a long time at doses above the RDA and below the maximum level has been shown to be safe in the long term.
7. Nutritional needs vary from one person to another , depending on their nutritional status, physical activity, illnesses and the possible medication they are taking, among other factors. For that reason, dietary supplements cannot be prescribed indiscriminately to the entire population in the same doses.
What vitamin and mineral supplements to take?
In conclusion, not everyone needs to supplement their diet with vitamins and minerals, nor does everyone need the same or in the same amount. The ideal is to have a healthy diet rich in fresh food. But if we have a more restrictive diet or our needs increase, supplementing our diet with a contribution of micronutrients will make it easier for us to achieve the necessary amounts to be in optimal health .
Neoactives has NeoVitamin Plus and NeoMineral Plus , its two Advanced Nutrition products that can be used to supplement the diet. NeoVitamin Plus provides all the necessary vitamins in significant, balanced amounts and in highly bioavailable forms. For its part, NeoMineral Plus is a complete formula that stands out for its optimal levels of minerals and high bioavailability, with very good levels of magnesium, chromium and selenium.